Red Rock Scenic Byway, Arizona Hwy 179 Arizona, United States
The Red Rock Scenic Byway also known as SR 179 is a gateway to the world famous Red Rock Country of Sedona, Arizona. It runs from Interstate 17 to SR 89A in Sedona. 15-mile not too long highway is one of the magnificent red rock wonders, mesmerizing and peaceful. One can never get tired enjoying the view of the red rocks, the changing colors, the night skies.
At 3,500 to 7,000 feet in elevation the road gets you to the town of Sedona’s, a beautiful and relaxing town at the bottom of the road. Carved from the southern edge of the Colorado Plateau, Red Rock Country climate is moderate but varies from creekside to canyon to slope.
Several pullouts on the way Coconino National Forest's, Bell Rock, Oak Creek Canyon, Courthouse, Mermaid Rock, Little Horse Trail Head, Yavapai Vista, as well as Cathedral Rock, by this byway. There are also a number of hiking areas that can be accessed from RT 179. The traffic is heavy at times but the roads are very good which made it easy to sight see.
Points of Interest
- Coconino National ForestBell Rock Vista and Pathway Southern Trailhead
- Little Horse Trail and Bell Rock Pathway Northern Trailhead
- The Chapel of the Holy Cross
- The Village of Oak Creek
- View of the Red Rocks
- Sedona Area Wildlife and Vegetation
- Red Rock Crossing on Oak Creek
- Old Bridge over Dry Beaver Creek
- National Forest/Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center